Thursday, October 30, 2014

"Keep on Swimming Swimming"

Throughout my childhood I participated in triathlons hosted by the Mansfield Community Center.  Like all triathlons, this one contained a swimming portion.  This was the first section of the competition.  Another kid, Bryce, was very talented at swimming and I knew he would be my most threatening competitor if I wanted to win the entire triathlon.  The race was four lengths of the pool and I was extremely nervous.  When the gun went off Bryce jumped out into the lead immediately, I was not far behind.  The first length was down and Bryce only opened up the gap between us a smidge.  Unfortunately for me, not being in the greatest swimming shape, I cramped and Bryce left me in the dust.  He beat me by a tremendous amount of time (at least ten seconds) and I knew I had to blow away the entire field of competitors of I wanted to win.  Fortunately I placed first in the one mile run and bike ride. 
During the award ceremony I was still a little unsure whether or not I had secure my first place position.  Everybody receives a bronze participation medal except for the top 3 athletes.  After the last participation medal was handed out only Jonas, one of my friends, Bryce, and I didn’t have one.  Bryce and I knew that Jonas was receiving the third place medal so we waited to find out who would be crowned the champion.
 “In second place!” the announcer shouted, “Jared Taintor!”  I was furious.  I quickly stood up, claimed my prize and medal, and sat back down. 

Soon after that I learned that I only lost to Bryce by less than a few points and I would have won if I didn't cramp during the swimming.  The swimming aspect of the triathlon destroyed my dreams (only for that day though) of claiming a first place medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment