Thursday, October 2, 2014

Behind Bars

The act of rebellion in "The Yellow Wall-Paper" is when the narrator starts tearing the wallpaper off of the walls at the end. I think this is the act of rebellion because throughout the entire story she says she sees a woman trapped inside of the wallpaper and is trying to get out. I think this lady who is stuck represents the narrator and how she is trapped by John and Jennie inside this house and inside of a strict daily routine which is making her unhappy. By tearing down the wallpaper it is shows that she is breaking down restrictions John and Jennie have set for her for the last three months. A quote from the narrator in the last few lines of the book supports all of my reasons on page 198, "'I've got out at last,' said I, 'in spite of you and Jane. And I've pulled off most of the paper, so you can't put me back!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment