Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What is American Literature?


I think that American literature is any novel, short story, poem, or essay written by a well-known American author. When I think of literature I think of pieces of writing that can be analyzed and taught in classrooms. I don't think of essays I have written or what my peers have written in English class because they aren't masterpieces. The poems and novels read and analyzed in classrooms have been revised and rewritten so there are no flaws and that is why they are being taught in school. Pieces of American literature utilize all writing techniques and literary devices in the correct way. I have never read a short story or novel in English class or outside of class that has incorrectly used literary devices. The literature students read is supposed to teach us new styles of writing and new and correct ways to use symbolism or the power of repetition. Since the literature is flawless it becomes well-known and that is why I think that American literature is a novel, poem, short story, or essay that is written by a well-known American author.

No comments:

Post a Comment